Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Adoption fundraising letters

Have you seen these pleas for money to adopt kids on all the social media outlets lately? Its come up in several groups I belong to and it bothers me immensely! I'm not exactly sure why it bothers me so much.  Maybe its the sense of entitlement, like just because you want something I should pay for it?  Maybe its the fact that if you wanted a child that badly and didn't have the funds to pay for your private domestic adoption of a healthy white baby you could wait till you saved enough or maybe not purchase that daily Starbucks or trade in your brand new car for a clunker like the rest of us.  Maybe its the fact that if you really felt like God was calling you to adopt, maybe he wanted you to adopt the 6 year old African-American boy living the next town over who has been dreaming for a real family his whole life instead of the cute chunky baby.  Maybe I'm just jealous no one forked over a bunch of money for me to foster/adopt?  Who knows, but in light of it I have decided to write my own fundraising letter:

Dear Friends and Family,
I would like to introduce you to a very special little person but I cant due to my agency's privacy rules. He is my child, regardless of whether he stays here an hour or forever. I do not know who will be dropped off at my door yet, but we are so excited to meet him whether at 1:00 PM or 1:00 AM. Im open to adopting him if his parents are unable to safely have him return home, and we need your help to keep our home updated to meet my agencies ridiculous rules and provide room. No words can capture the true joy and excitement we feel as we anticipate the blessing of his presence in our home.

As most of you know, we have continually gone through traumatic experience taking in child after child who had been abused, neglected, and traumatized.  We have bonded with these children only to have them ripped from our hearts at a moment notice, sometimes returned to families who are not prepared or able to keep them safe.  Despite the continuing heartbreak, God has healed us physically, spiritually, and emotionally, and we are so excited to begin this journey again.

We are in the process of looking to purchase a home that can accommodate a large number of children. Due to our constant love and care for children in need our current home has undergone significant damage including pee soaked carpets, burns on floors from fire setting, molding and doors broken, drywall kicked in, permanent door alarms and surveillance cameras and broken windows.  Houses are very expensive, and we would like to invite you to be a part of our foster care/adoption journey by giving financially. The total cost of a new house meeting our needs is $300,000, and we are hoping to raise half of that. We trust that God will provide the funds needed to complete this journey.

Im too busy and exhausted chasing children, filling out forms and reports, waiting for CW to return my phone calls, and dealing with 14 other professionals telling me what to do after visiting 20 minutes a month to do any actual fundraising so just paypal me money at XXXXXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to let us share our journey with you.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX and XXXXX XXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...