Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Freeze Ahead Creamed Spinach

 
 
I found this giant bag of spinach for about 4 bucks at our local produce place.  When I got home I was trying to figure out what to do with all of it and Creamed Spinach was the first thing that came to mind.  I always try and convince my kids to be like Popeye and eat their spinach, they don't usually go for it!  BUT this creamed spinach was right up there alley.  The best thing about it is you can freeze it for up to a year!
 
 
 
Ingredients: 6 Packages Loose Leaf Spinach
2 Cups Milk
1 Stick Butter
1/2 C Flour
1/4 C Olive Oil
3 T Minced Garlic
1 t each Salt & Pepper

You will need to use 2 pots, one to make the cream and one to wilt the spinach.

 Get your smaller pot out and ready for making the cream.  First, melt the butter in your pot on med-high heat.  With a whisk, quickly add (and keep stirring) the flour - this is called making a roux and it will thicken any liquid added to it.  When the flour is well incorporated into the butter, add the milk.  Keep whisking and you will see the mixture thicken quickly.  Add salt & pepper.  When it's the consistency of gravy, take it off the heat and set aside.
 
 
 


For the Spinach.  In a large pot, add the Olive Oil and Garlic. Over medium heat, add a handful of spinach at a time.  As the spinach begins to wilt, add more until all of the spinach has wilted.
 
 
 
Finally, stir the "Cream" into the spinach and allow to cool.

Next fill freezer bags with the Creamed Spinach.
 
Separate the mixture into six freezer bags, label and freeze for up to 1 year.  When you're ready to use it, microwave for about 3 minutes in a microwave safe dish.
 
 






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment :) I have read your blog from start to finish and even printed out the Foster Parent planner and sent a link to your blog to my fellow PRIDE members. You make this all look so easy that I hope and pray I can be organized and successful like you!! Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mamma! Don't let me fool you, Im great at setting up Organization systems, now whether I actually stay organizd is a whole different ball game :) Im looking forward to following your journey :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...